The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live in that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it,under its roof(barbara kingsolver)... this is the journey of defining my hopes and living them to the fullest...and all the random junk along the way.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

This weekend was monumental! My mom and grandmother (my closest family members) met my in-laws this weekend. EVERY.SINGLE.IN-LAW. It was a monumental SUCCESS!!!! My grandmother has the tendency to tire out easily and my mom has the tendency to shy away from loud people and big crowds. The potential for disaster was fairly high. Half of Chris' family is old, mint-julep SOUTHERN and the other is loud, vocal Italian-Italian... you know the kind Jersey, pasta, everybody loves Mama.... Anyway... needless to say there are a LOT of characters on his side. Its like if the Cake Boss (TLC... watch it if you haven't) met Steele Magnolias. Big personalities with big volumes and I love every minute of it. I was worried though, that my mom would be shy and my grandmother would be too tired but from the moment they arrived, they loved every moment of everyday too!!!

His family lives in Plains, GA. Its pretty much like Mayberry(no exaggeration). It's the home of Jimmy Carter, the 39th President of the United States.... and peanuts. History abounds, charm oozes from every storefront and around every corner is someone related to Chris' mom's in some shape or form. In 2.5 days we stayed and 37 meals we ate, we managed to meet, eat with and hear at least 2 embarrassing stories about each family member with the exception of a sister-in-law and a wayward brother. We laughed and ate and laughed and ate some more. We visited every Jimmy Carter exhibit known to man. Much to my surprise, my grandmother kept up. And mom didn't once feel the need to retreat into herself. There was never lack for conversation nor was there any awkwardness. In fact my grandmother said she never felt more rested or rejuvenated after a vacation. She's still talking about what a good time she had.

I am so relieved that everyone likes everyone! I felt the beginnings of traditions forming. I see us ALL getting together for holidays, birthdays and just because. I can't wait for our kids to grow up in the love and acceptance I felt as we sat around the dinner table. It feels like we've always been family. We fit and it feels like home.

what a good weekend!!!!

No comments: